What will I be doing?
- Preparation with the team – discuss any special needs of patients and the day’s proposed programme, liaise with the Catering department to provide refreshments. Prepare the room ready for patient arrival.
- Patient Engagement – Greet patients as they arrive and help them to get settled – make them feel welcome by engaging in conversation. Help to welcome and integrate new patients by ‘showing them the ropes’. Respond appropriately to having difficult conversations e.g. death and dying. Encourage patient involvement in social and recreational activities and assist the person in participating in these e.g. chess, quiz. Assist patients in gathering their belongings at the end of the day. Ensure that confidentiality and boundaries are maintained at all times.
- Hospitality – serve refreshments to patients, collection of used crockery and cutlery and return to kitchen for washing.
- Volunteer Training – Act as a ‘buddy’ for new starters, familiarising them with the daily routine and local volunteer procedures by providing on-going support
- Assist with other tasks as and when asked
What skills & qualities will I need?
- Volunteers should have warmth and empathy, be friendly and welcoming
- Excellent conversation and listening skills organised
- An appreciation of importance of confidentiality
- Time: 10.30 - 13.00 and/or 12.30 - 15.45
- Location: Ulverston & Barrow
- Frequency: Weekly. Tuesday in Barrow. Wednesday in Ulverston.