What we do
Family & Bereavement Support Service
The St Mary’s Hospice Family & Bereavement Support Service provides emotional support for:
- Adults facing illness brought about by a diagnosis of a life limiting illness
- The family and friends of those people
- Those who have experienced a bereavement following a life-limiting illness.
- We can also help individuals to support children in the family circle with their feelings of grief
Serious illness or bereavement can impact on a family in many different ways. Supporting each other is important but sometimes talking about your
feelings with friends and family can be hard as you don’t want to upset each other.
Our volunteers and staff offer you a safe space where you can talk to someone who is trained to listen and support you. We also work closely with
other external agencies and can help facilitate referral to these as appropriate.
Please do phone and talk to us if you feel you would like some support. If we feel we are not the most appropriate service to support you then
we will always try to help you find someone who is. Let us answer any questions you may have ...(Click here)
How do you get in touch with us:
Telephone: 01229 580305 during office hours Monday-Friday and ask to speak to Family Support Team
What does St Mary’s Family & Bereavement support offer:
- Individual emotional to patients and their families at home or in Hospice
- On-going telephone support as necessary according to individual need
- Occasional bereavement groups in accordance with demand.
- Annual Memorial Service (this is open to anyone who has been bereaved.)
- Help and advice when planning a funeral.
- Spiritual support for those with a faith or none at all
What is Grief? Please follow this link to find out more about some common feelings in bereavement
Grief Support Resources - for more useful links please click here
Resources for children, young adults and schools - please follow the link to find out support available and tips and advice to help children, and for more useful links for children and young adults please click here
Gill and Gordon Cooney kindly agreed to share their story about their experience of St Mary's Family and Bereavement Support. Please click
here to read Gill and Gordon's story.